09/23/2007

Church day, out to eat, groceries. After the above activities, Cayla & I went to Quitman to the Old Folks home and visited. We saw Mrs. Baker, Mrs. Bee Lee and Aunt Jean. Aunt Jean seemed to be having a good day. As Cayla & I opened the stairwell door, Ronnie & Paula were wheeling her out of her room. When she saw me, she immediately said,"Well look, there's Jill. Her eyes welled up with tears as did all of ours! We visited and caught up on the latest news with our families. As each day passes, we are all aging. It is so hard to see loved ones unable to go about their daily routine. Aunt Jean, as I remember her from my childhood, was always busy as a bee at her house!!! She was always cleaning, and it showed!! Now I must say, I could use a few lessons from her! I have so many fond memories of Uncle Julian , Aunt Jean, & Paula! Paula, Lynn & I were all close in age so we do have some memories! I told about the train to Tennessee before....I just could not imagine that train taking them from Valdosta to Tennessee! One time, Lynn & I rode with Uncle Julian to pick them up. Now bear in mind, we had never been out of the state of Ga! Back then we did not wear seat belts. We rode in the back window, floorboards, on top of the seats, the hood...just kidding, not that we would not have tried it, we were so excited we were all over the car!!! There was also one questions that we kept asking... Are we about there yet? Uncle Julian was a saint when it came to patience!!!! He would just say, naw gals, we aren't close yet. Then he would say; naw gals, it's gonna be awhile yet, we still have a way's to go; well, we are getting closer. I remember getting so stir crazy! I also remember asking, "Just how far is this place anyway? When he told us how far & long it would take take to get there , we were thinking(and I am sure we said it) we should have stayed home!! You must also know Uncle Julian did everything at a nice slow pace! Ha! We finally arrived and I am sure he was as glad to get out of that car as we were. We stayed with Grannie Crocket, Aunt Jeans mother. Played croquet, went & visited her Aunts & Uncle, one had monkeys & birds. Lynn remembers going to Stuckey's to eat on this trip & the cigar smoke burning her eyes in the car. She said her eye's were burning so bad, we did finally ask him to crack the windows. Yep, every time he rolled them up we would wait a few minutes & ask him to roll them down again! He probably needed to smoke with us in the car! More memories on this later! Ky came home at 5:00 & we were glad to see her!

No comments:

Post a Comment


My Blog List

Blog Archive