September 11, 2001

I was in Augusta Georgia having surgery. Yes, Casey & I drove up on the 10th for pre-op. I was supposed to drink this awful tasting white stuff, a whole jug. Well, that was not happening, I tried....but I called the DR. when I went to the local pharmacy & talked to them. He gave me an alternative & I was happy to take him up on it! WB & Helen drove up later that night. Bless his heart, he is up to his neck in produce at this time, I told him he did not have to come, but he was coming! When I went into surgery everything was fine, except they kept putting this other ladies chart on my bed & calling me her. I kept saying....I am not her, I am Ronna Jill Bridges & I am here for a hysterectomy, I do not know what she is having, but I am here for....you know! I did tell them to please put her chart with her, where ever she is! I would not let them give me anything until they moved that chart. I told them she may be having her leg removed or something & I don't want that removed. Every nurse that came by my bed, I would say, miss....that is not my chart...you get the picture. They finally moved it as they were laughing at me & then I got me some good sleep. I slept most of the day, every time I woke up, Helen was watching the same movie. (WB & Casey had driven back home to get back to work.) My wonderful Mother-in-law stayed to help me & bring me home! Anyway, each time I woke up & focused on the t.v., all day...the same movie was on...yes, I was on the drugs from the surgery & had no clue what was going on!! Finally, later on in the day, Helen saw me looking at the tube...she told me that terrorist had flown planes into the world trade center, I said where is that? She laughed & said, go back to sleep & rest honey!!! I really had a hard time believing this had happened, but for the next 3 days that was all that was on the tv. While in the hospital, Helen was a great nurse! They had a pan in the potty for me to catch my tinkle, but they never came to look at it or empty it, I told Helen it was pretty full and would be running over before long. She finally just emptied it herself! Then they told me they would come & help me get a shower, well...we waited for a long time but they never came...so Helen & I just did it ourselves. The bad thing was, we got tickled about her needing to be put on their payroll. If u have ever had surgery....u know u do not want to laugh after it!!! But everything seems to be funny....must be the drugs! We were really tickled & boy did that hurt, I even told her she was gonna have to shut-up cause I was dying...laughing & hurting!!! I was also very hungry & thirsty....liquid diet from the surgery....not fun. I kept wanting to drink & eat! Helen would go down to the nurses desk & tell them I would like something to drink or eat, she went so much she said...I think they think I am drinking & eating this instead of you!!! Yep, I got tickled again!!! Later we went for a walk, I was hungry again, it was late at night, I could smell the food from their station. I went right to them, asked them what they had good to eat, they had a chocolate cake.....can u believe that...I am starving & they have cake. I asked them if I could have some, they laughed & said the Dr. had liquid diet in my chart, no duh!! I said, well do you have any chocolate ice cream or something....they did & I got some & it was soooo good!!!! Yep, we were nearly rolling in the floor laughing. On the way home, I am in my gown & robe..bedroom shoes..& messy hair...I am laying down in the back of the car. Well, I had to tell Helen how to get home off & on and I had to stop & go to the potty. We stopped at a store, no one was in the parking lot at the time we pulled up. I get out, shuffling my feet...go in, tell the lady to please excuse my appearance...had surgery...need to use the restroom! Too many people came in before I could get out of their, but I did not care! We made it home, the dirt road was rough, but I was glad to get home!! A big thank-you is just not enough appreciation for my friend....Helen!!! She was great!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


My Blog List

Blog Archive