No more suffering!

I knew Uncle Tom was not doing well. Ms. Wilma had called and told me on Monday night. As I was traveling home on Wednesday morning at around 9:35 she called again and said that he had just passed and Larry said to call Jill and let our family know. She did and I appreciated the call and began letting the rest of our family know. As sad as we are, we know that he is so very happy! So many years he has not been able to get out and ride a tractor or golf cart, just bed-ridden. I felt the urgency to be back home with the snap of a wand, but not possible!

I stopped, gassed up and ran through a drive through. Between Eatonton and Gray, I get a call from Lila. Now, she is the one we were close in age with. Linda and Larry were older than us so most of our young days were spent playing and working with Lila. She wanted to make sure that we had heard the news. She told me that even though we did not see each other as much anymore that we were all still like family and that we were just bonded together, and nothing could break those bonds!  OK….I had been holding it together until Lila called…and I still did on the phone while talking to her. I tried to encourage her as best I could and told her that I would be back in town shortly and would see her tonight! Then we hung up the phone and I wept, and cried and ached for their pain. I know this pain, as they do. They loved my Dad just like I did, and love theirs! 

I got home around 2:30. I had to get WB clothes washed up, get the payroll done for the week and I made to pineapple hot dishes to take over to the Lodge family.  Got dressed and put the dishes in the car, closed the trunk, began the drive over and before I get out the driveway, the tears! Oh yeah, I am not even over their yet.

Trudge on along, go the paved road because we had rain a few days ago. Get to the road to turn on… and the Road Sign says “Tom Lodge Road”! I know this, but seeing it….deep breath. Now this dirt road is the road that we traveled almost daily! Many memories, that I will talk about later…deep breath! Get to their house, go in the back door…..in the kitchen their are some of the people I love dearly. More tears, go hug my Aunt Dot…..more tears!

I stayed and helped Amber with things in the kitchen and we did have many laughs. So much love pouring out from friends, family neighbors and their church family!  As we are still in the kitchen and they were helping Aunt Dot get to bed….here she comes, in her robe. Amber said, Nana, I thought you were going to bed? She said, I am not going to bed, I am not ready to go to bed yet….I am not!!!  I said, OK everybody…did you hear that…the boss of this place is not going to bed yet!!! She and all of us just laughed! Here comes Lila, I told her…she is not going to bed yet, she is the boss and so you may as well forget it!!! She is going to be up for a while!!! Too funny! She is a very independent woman!

Today,  is also Larry, his sons birthday.        Larry said, “he had seen his Dad suffer so much the past years that his death was the best birthday gift he could have ever given him.” I must say that is true love, loving enough to let go of someone that you love so much!

The viewing will be Thursday night and the funeral Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment


My Blog List

Blog Archive