Lazy Eye & Amblyopia

The article below is very exciting for me as I have had this condition all of my life! I had surgery when I was very young to correct the eye as it was pulled inward. It helped the muscle with glasses and patches. Those patches as the biggest pain! They itch when you get hot & sweaty!! Plus you can't see worth anything with it on. I know that is the point, to make the eye stronger & work better. It did help with the muscle, I am sure, but not with the vision. I wore glasses until I was a Jr. in High School & a new Dr. said to take them off, they were hurting my good eye. I was so happy I nearly hugged his neck!!! Kids are so mean in your early years about anything different...yes, I got called 4-eyes and yes it hurt my feelings so bad! But, I am sure those people, as adults now, have learned better! I remember loosing my glasses all the time!! Trying to watch t.v., pulling back the patch so I could see what was on, my sister telling on me!! She said she was sacred I would go blind!!! Thanks Lynn!! I never knew there might be things that my vision would affect. Like depth perception, balance and anything approaching your blind side! When you have dealt with it all of your life, you just don't know that you might not be as good at some things as people with vision in both eyes. One thing I absolutely can't do is to water ski on one ski! I have tried & tried, I even tried to ride a wake board a couple of years ago! Ha! I also could not see a pick coming in basketball from that side! Now I know why I shot an missed the whole goal every now & then..I was definitely a defensive player!! Too funny!! I have learned to hit a golf ball! Now, when it starts getting dusk...I will swing & miss!!! At first we did not think that much about it, but it has happened several times and we have seen a pattern. I have learned to laugh at myself...the greatest gift I have given myself! All of my children have been checked for this. The thing is, this can happen at any time during your life. Cayla has it, of course she would be the one, but she has made her brain & eye over compensate and it works part of the time! She is one of the rare ones that has done this!! I also have a sister that this happened to when she was older. So, I guess you should have your kids vision checked annually, who knows. Sorry for the long post, but I just needed to blog about this! I really would like to try this procedure, but I doubt they would try this on a middle-aged person....did I just say middle-aged!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


My Blog List

Blog Archive